My EC 'report' - copy from Dutch forum.

Tobias
Seneschall
Seneschall
VEKN Nr.:

My EC 'report' - copy from Dutch forum.

Post by Tobias »

This is a slight re-make (to not focus on the Dutch scene so much) from my post in the Dutch forum.

Organisers, judge, assistants and White Wolf - it was a wonderful weekend. Thanks.

I'll echo a sentiment - play level was very high, and although I played well (IMHO, not mistake-free) I just didn't get many points for it. The fun level was very high as well, which is more important to me than the points I got (sure, I would've liked more, but the weekend was fine like this).

Saturday:
Last chance qualifier, 125 players:

My round 1: !Malk SB predator. I try to stealth jam him, it doesn't work, he ousts me (with just barely enough cards, as far as I can tell) as I have 4 coolers, 4 blood dolls, 5 minions, and a prey on 4 pool... Fun fact: David Tatu and Gines on my table.

0 VP.

My round 2: my first prey is a Baali/GreatBeast deck (the Swede who will be finalist in the next day), and I oust him easily (bad draw from him, Sudden and DI in my opening hand). My !Nos predator rushes some of my guys but gets too much pressure from his weenie pot/dom predator, who ousts him before I sweep the rest.

1 GW, 4 VP

My round 3: Jeroen (Gangrel) is my predator, my prey is weenie War Ghoul/Rock cat, !Nos rush grandprey, my grandpredator is anson/democritus master/anthelios

I rip into my prey, who also has some crypt trouble, and get him low fast, so he cannot develop his play. I cannot get my coolers due to Jeroen's intercept, though. At one point I oust my prey, but the master deck plays the expected life boon. The master deck also plays succubus club, has lots of pool, and has talked his !Nos predator into 5 turns of non-agression (a deal which no table-talk or opportunity will break - sigh).

Jeroen is the only one who can go forwards effectively, since my prey's getting pool from my grandpredator, the !Nos is stuck in his (mistaken, IMHO) deal, and the masterdeck only does whole-table effects. So Jeroen goes forward into me. At some point it's clear I'm going to be ousted in Jeroen's next turn (or the one after that), so I decide to force the issue. My grandpredator may have a second life boon by now, and still has the Succubus club. Instead of defending, I push to my blood dolls and rip into my prey again. I'm now so low on pool that Jeroen will easily oust me if his turn comes up. My prey's also low, Francois has also gotten low so might not be able to give pool to my prey (or to me, but very likely not both). I thus force Francois to choose who gets a VP - his prey through ousting me, or me through ousting my prey (assuming Francois has the life boon or will give away pool with the succubus club). If Francois doesn't have the life boon, I'm fucked anyway.

Jeroen goes forward on his turn, and ousts me. Francois hasn't given away pool on his turn and doesn't have a life boon, so I'm gone. Jeroen then also ousts my prey. The !Nos is unhooked from his deal at this time, and starts going forward, to a likely win, but the table times out and Jeroen gets his second GW.

Francois was a friendly guy, even with such an evil deck.

Sunday:
EC championship, 117 players

Round 1: my predator flips Neally as I flip Gilbert Duane. Next round: predator plays misdirection, govern/command the beast/conditioning, I play wake/deflect (phiew!). My prey (!Malk SB) deflects it on to his prey. I play defensively but try to cycle as much as I can and convince the table my predator's the threat, he goes low on pool and his predator (tzimi) builds as my grandprey (weenie pot with a little dom) is slighlty busy on my prey but mostly hunts (building up for a lunge, I think). The tzimi builds up and squeezes out my predator. I've prepared for that by also building up, and storm into the !Malk, but I cannot get him down lower than about 5. The !Malk then ousts 2 preys in a row, and allows me to withdraw (since I was a good buffer to him for a long time and we're really close to the time limit), 1VP to me.

Round 2: my predator plays AAA but few masters and doesn't draw a grand ball, so he has lots of pool and I have little pressure. I am free to start hurting my prey Tibor, brujah embrace/praxis/oxford/debate. Tibor is playing like a brujah, getting upset, shouting, etc., somewhat in-style, somewhat for real, but it's all an act at the end. I hope to play with Tibor again, it was fun.

After about 30 minutes it's clear that there are 5 decks with vote power and a degree of votes on the table, and 2 are playing bribes, so I say "this table's going to time out". I think it'll happen, but my deck's also got bleed power, so I think/hope my bleed will allow an oust anyway. Tibor goes down to low regions a lot through Oxford use, and then the table helps him by allowing the boon. Maybe I should've talked the table into not being bullied by him so much, but I wanted to play, not talk (dumb, maybe). I cannot go forward too much due to fear of rush/debate, I need to wait my time. At some point when he's on 8 pool I bleed for 2 twice, he's on 4 pool, and I bleed for 4 with Gilbert Duane, expecting the AI, but since it's late in the game, we're going to time out, I have to try something: he has the AI and is at 1 pool. His pool bounces back up but I keep on the pressure as he is now also looking at the oust of his prey and not looking back at me (since I now only have a low-blood Badr al-Budr and 2 OBF assamites). It's close to time, the table wants to collectively withdraw, but the Brujah doesn't. Somehow, they do get the idea the withdraw is on, so I say: play and discard quick, we'll withdraw, and so they do, but not without the giovanni deck cross-table from me playing fall of the camarilla. I sense my chance (no 2nd tradition for my prey, he's on 3 pool, I have 3 minions and 3 stealth cards in hand) and bleed for 1 three times, ousting him. Since the players now at the table wanted to withdraw, I say "so now we withdraw?", but they're smarter than that (as expected) and let it time out. 1.5 VP for me, 2.5 in total.

round 3: my predator is Shane from australia, playing pot rush, but Johannes (judge) comes over and asks if it's ok if they swap him for Stephane Lavrut, since Stephane's on the same table as Kamel and they wish to avoid a possible accusation of collusion (long story). So I get Stephane Lavrut and a feared cel/gun deck as predator. I have a dreams in my opening hand, so I decide to try for a quick Badr-al-budr anyway, but it is of course completely killed. I then try to start the tactic to flip open 0 minions at first (forcing predator to turn right), influence down to 3 of them and flip them open at the same time. After that I can block the incoming rushes with 2 guys and wakes, keep one alive, and play secure haven (which I need to cycle to as well) on the last, hopefully a malk prince. Problem: no malk prince in the opening crypt. I start the tactic, but I have to buy 5 (!) minions before I get Greger Andersson, who, in the meantime, has appeared in my prey's controlled region. I decide to change tactics to choose a moment to flip up 2 assamites and in the meantime try to tabletalk/DI/Sudden in the benefit of my grandpredator even more than I was already doing, so Stephane will get much pressure. My grandpredator has 4 ravnos out, is still influencing more, and drops the week of nightmares. Stephane is perilously low and then - drops the succubus club. Aarghh... his logical ally is my prey who's playing vote, has 0 pressure (although Stephane did rush him once, and my grandprey's Gargoyle/Tremere do block), and plenty of pool. So Stephane talks my prey into giving him pool to keep on going at me, just after the point where I flipped over 2 minions to have something to do anyway after which my prey plays his first First Tradition AND a Justicar Retribution which kills 2 Ravnos cross-table (there was also a lot of bad feeling between my prey and the Ravnos during the game). So I'm fucked and Stephane ousts me 4 seconds (LSJ is counting them down) before the time-out.

Stupid fact: I was the one that called the judge over to get 3 minutes of extra time in the first place because I hated the arguing crap between my prey and my grandpredator. :)

It sounds like a bad game, but it wasn't. Stephane and I were joking and had fun anyway, even as he was killing me.

The rest of the tournament:
Really friendly people, well organised, met a lot of people I've been mailing with, Bang! is a fun game, some nice friendly games as well, SB is not my decktype anymore (give me something with more tabletalk/control options), Heidelberg is closer than I thought (and the castle's interesting), if you weren't there you missed a great weekend.

Oh, and Succubus Club shouldn't neccesarily be banned, but I've seen a heard of a lot of effects from it that are over-powered and annoying this weekend. People make greedy deals and will do anything (hell, even I did it). If it isn't changed or banned I will (have to) pack tech in every deck to combat its use from now on - and I do think that's bad, or at least a shame. The game just changes too much once it's on the table. A modification on the SC would be welcome, from my POV.

(And yes, I was already packing appropriate anti-SC tech on Sunday, but didn't draw into it).

ProcF
Archont
Archont
VEKN Nr.:

Re: My EC 'report' - copy from Dutch forum.

Post by ProcF »

moot
Last edited by ProcF on 30 Nov 2004, 18:53, edited 1 time in total.
Once you go Mac, you never turn back!
Johannes
Vorsintflutlicher
Vorsintflutlicher
VEKN Nr.:

Post by Johannes »

ProcF wrote: care to explain johannes or is resteating during the ec just a special gift to good friends? (or did i miss the appropiate section in the veken tourney rules)
stéphane lavrut was playing a weenie cel deck. kamel was playing a !tor embrace deck. before round 3 kamel had 1GW 5VP alas a good chance to the final. stéphane had 0GW 0VP alas no chance to the final. stéphane (playing a rush deck) was to be the prey of kamel, his best friend. after talking with stéphane i came to the conclusion that stéphane would be hard pressed not to be accused of collusion if he did anything for kamel no matter what reasons he had. therefore i assumed that stéphane had not really a free choice how to play the game which i considered to be a really bad situation. therefore i swapped shane schneider (also playing a rush deck) who was also very eager to win and in no friendly relationship to kamel with stéphane. stéphane and kamel were happy about it because they are very honorable players and didn´t want to have an aire of collusion around them. all the other players on these two tables were asked and agreed to the solution, sascha neumayr was the only one who didn´t agree at first but could be convinced that it is a good way to handle the situation.

this wasn´t (of course) a gift because neither kamel nor stéphane took a game win in that round and for no one the situation improved/got worse. of course i wouldn´t have anticipated the very likely case of a problematic situation if i didn´t know them so well, but i would have suggested the same procedere if you and one of your friends were in the same situation.

of course this change is recorded in the archon and therefore will be part of the official report going to Robyn. there isnt any section in the vekn rules that state anything about this but on the other hand there is no section that states that someone has to use the archon seating charts to determine seating.

probably also consider this : your post to this forum would have been longer than 1 line if stéphane had given the table to kamel (e.g in a 2/3 deal) and kamel would have gone to the final because of that.
V:TES online shop http://www.vtes.de
ProcF
Archont
Archont
VEKN Nr.:

Post by ProcF »

EDIT Aufgrund der bitte eines spielers den ich sehr schätze bitte ich meine posts in diesem thread zu ignorieren

stefan
Johannes
Vorsintflutlicher
Vorsintflutlicher
VEKN Nr.:

Post by Johannes »

ProcF wrote:EDIT Aufgrund der bitte eines spielers den ich sehr schätze bitte ich meine posts in diesem thread zu ignorieren
deine frage stellte imho kein problem dar, sie war durchaus berechtigt, da es ja eine ungewöhnliche massnahme ist. ich habe versucht es ausführlich darzulegen warum die entscheidung so gefallen ist.
ProcF
Archont
Archont
VEKN Nr.:

Post by ProcF »

Last edited by ProcF on 05 Dec 2004, 16:39, edited 1 time in total.
Denis
Prinz
Prinz
VEKN Nr.:

Post by Denis »

ProcF wrote: Johannes dir fehlt einfach die große eine sache ruhen zu lassen. ich will und werde über diese deine entscheidung nicht mehr diskutieren oder sie erwähnen. ich würde dir selbiges empfehlen

stefan

haha. also bisher sehe ich immer noch deine posts als letzte was die sache angeht. da fragt man sich als unbeteiligter wem es wirklich an grösse fehlt...

nichts für ungut ;)...
alf
Seneschall
Seneschall
VEKN Nr.: 1000460

Post by alf »

Ähhmmm.

Ich halte die eigenmächtige Änderung der Archon-Sitzordnung
für äusserst fragwürdig.

Falls da die Gefahr von Collusion gesehen wurde, ist eben der
Judge gefordert. Zur Not das ganze Spiel über.

Wieviele andere Situationen Freund-Freund als Predator-Prey
habt Ihr wohl in all den Turnieren übersehen? Gab es da Probleme?

Wie gesagt: Sehr fragwürdig.

Alf
<insert clever quotation here>
Johannes
Vorsintflutlicher
Vorsintflutlicher
VEKN Nr.:

Post by Johannes »

Masika wrote: Ich halte die eigenmächtige Änderung der Archon-Sitzordnung
für äusserst fragwürdig.
Kein Punkt der V:EKN guidelines schreibt die Benutzung der Archon Sitzordnung vor.
Masika wrote: Falls da die Gefahr von Collusion gesehen wurde, ist eben der
Judge gefordert. Zur Not das ganze Spiel über.
Stimmt. Der hat ja sonst nichts zu tun.
Masika wrote: Wieviele andere Situationen Freund-Freund als Predator-Prey
habt Ihr wohl in all den Turnieren übersehen? Gab es da Probleme?
Ja, mit solchen Situationen gab es schon massive Probleme.
the scavenger
Justicar
Justicar
VEKN Nr.:

Post by the scavenger »

Masika wrote:Wie gesagt: Sehr fragwürdig.
Ich halte das auch für fragwürdig, und zwar im wahrsten Sinn des Wortes. Und das ganz allgemein: Ich gehe davon aus, dass auch befreundete Spieler Sportsmänner genug sind, das Spiel den Regeln gemäß zu spielen. Man könnte argumentieren, dass das Wegsetzen von Stephane (immerhin einer der besten Spieler der Welt mit einem Deck, das bisher schon ungeachtet seiner schlechten Ergebnisse bei der EC früher sehr erfolgreich gewesen ist) als Kamels Prey ein Vorteil für Kamel gewesen ist - was jetzt nicht respektlos gegenüber Shane sein soll, sondern nur diesen Standpunkt beleuchten soll.

Das Problem mit dieser Lex Kamel besteht darin, dass es unmöglich ist, dieses Prinzip auf alle Tische zu übertragen, und dass man, wie oben angeführt, darin auch einen Vorteil für Kamel sehen kann.

That being said: Ich finde die Entscheidung insgesamt in Ordnung, aber wie gesagt hinterfragenswert - der Weg der Gerechtigkeit ist verdammt schmal.

sk.
Männele
Vorsintflutlicher
Vorsintflutlicher
VEKN Nr.: 1000565

Post by Männele »

Als Betroffener:

1. war ich ziemlich enttäuscht, als Stephane weggesetzt wurde. Ich wollte unbedingt endlich mit ihm mal spielen. Und dann noch mit Kamel zusammen am Tisch. Geil.

2. Das Wegsetzen habe ich nicht verstanden. Sicher ist es schwierig, einen Kumpel als Predator zu haben, den man dann wegprügeln muss und ihm damit die Chance auf das Finale verbaut. Aber Stephane traue ich eigentlich zu, die Freundschaft für das Spiel zu vergessen (die ja auch Out of Game ist) und ganz normal zu spielen. Ich bin mir sicher, dass die auf keinen Fall Collusion gemacht hätten. Somit muss Stephane doch vor so einem Vorwurf auch keine Angst haben. Das Dumme ist nämlich, dass es jetzt Leute gibt, die meine Einschätzung in Frage gestellt sehen. Das habe ich Stephane auch schon gesagt. Ich finde, hätte am Tisch ein Spieler gemeckert, hätten wir halt LSJ daneben gestellt. Oder hatte die Entscheidung eher mit der französisch-österreichischen Freundschaft zu tun?

3. Insgesamt finde ich das Ganze jetzt auch nicht soo tragisch. Und wären diesbezüglich keine Posts gekommen, hätte ich auch meine Klappe gehalten. Ich hatte viel Spaß mit Shane, der Tisch war ganz in Ordnung. Und Stephane werde ich schon irgendwann mal treffen.

Insgesamt finde ich übrigens, dass der Judge schon die Sitzordnung ändern kann. Da steht nichts anderes in den Regeln. Es sollte halt wirklich nur in absoluten Notfällen geschehen.
Ich habe noch nie etwas vergessen. Das wüsste ich.
Johannes
Vorsintflutlicher
Vorsintflutlicher
VEKN Nr.:

Post by Johannes »

Männele wrote: Sicher ist es schwierig, einen Kumpel als Predator zu haben, den man dann wegprügeln muss und ihm damit die Chance auf das Finale verbaut. Aber Stephane traue ich eigentlich zu, die Freundschaft für das Spiel zu vergessen (die ja auch Out of Game ist) und ganz normal zu spielen. Ich bin mir sicher, dass die auf keinen Fall Collusion gemacht hätten.
Wer sagt dass er hätte Kamel weghauen müssen. Er hätte auch auf Dich hauen können ("Ousting your prey is the goal of the game") und dann wenn Kamel in der ousting situation gewesen wäre ("Oh my god, I didn´t think that he was playing Palla Grande") einen 2/3 Deal mit ihm machen können? Wie will ich da collusion beweisen? Gar nicht. Und was würde passieren wenn sagen wir mal du an der Position von Kamel gewesen wärest und der Frank mit einem CEL Rush vor Dir. Er haut Dich weg und du bekommst keinen GW er blöderweise auch nicht, den bekommt nämlich der Kamel vor ihm mit einem Rav/Embrace Deck. Ich würde mal sagen da hätte es mindestens 4 Wochen beleidigt sein in der Domäne Frankfurt gegeben.

Ich habe versucht viele mögliche Probleme dadurch zu beseitigen. Tut mir leid dass es viele nicht in Ordnung finden und Enttschäuschung entstanden ist. Dennoch glaube ich weiterhin im anderen Fall hätte es wesentlich mehr Ärger gegeben.
the scavenger
Justicar
Justicar
VEKN Nr.:

Post by the scavenger »

Männele wrote:Insgesamt finde ich übrigens, dass der Judge schon die Sitzordnung ändern kann. Da steht nichts anderes in den Regeln.
Da das jetzt schon öfter gekommen ist...

Die Turnierregeln enthalten folgenden Passus (Hervorhebungen von mir):

The judge will group players randomly, using prepared index cards, a computerized system for generating random groupings, or another randomizing method. Use of the optimal seating chart, found in The Archon tournament tracking spreadsheet, is encouraged.

Willkürlich != zufällig. Regelkonform wäre es insofern gewesen, alle Tische nach einer zufälligen Methode neu zu bestimmen - was natürlich völlig unpraktikabel ist.

sk.
Johannes
Vorsintflutlicher
Vorsintflutlicher
VEKN Nr.:

Post by Johannes »

Männele wrote:Das Dumme ist nämlich, dass es jetzt Leute gibt, die meine Einschätzung in Frage gestellt sehen.
Kapier ich nicht? Wer stellt welche Einschätzung in Frage.
Männele
Vorsintflutlicher
Vorsintflutlicher
VEKN Nr.: 1000565

Post by Männele »

Thea Bell aka Johannes wrote:
Männele wrote: Sicher ist es schwierig, einen Kumpel als Predator zu haben, den man dann wegprügeln muss und ihm damit die Chance auf das Finale verbaut. Aber Stephane traue ich eigentlich zu, die Freundschaft für das Spiel zu vergessen (die ja auch Out of Game ist) und ganz normal zu spielen. Ich bin mir sicher, dass die auf keinen Fall Collusion gemacht hätten.
Wer sagt dass er hätte Kamel weghauen müssen. Er hätte auch auf Dich hauen können ("Ousting your prey is the goal of the game") und dann wenn Kamel in der ousting situation gewesen wäre ("Oh my god, I didn´t think that he was playing Palla Grande") einen 2/3 Deal mit ihm machen können? Wie will ich da collusion beweisen? Gar nicht.
Moment, hätte er tatsächlich so etwas gesagt hätte ich ihm natürlich nicht geglaubt. Er kennt höchstwahrscheinlich Kamels Deck, natürlich sind das PGs drin. Ich sage es ja, bei schwachen Spielern würde es vielleicht Collusion geben und wir müssten uns tatsächlich einen Kopp machen, wie wir sie verhindern müssten. Aber doch nicht bei Kamel und Stephane. Und NATÜRLICH hätte er mich weggehauen, keine Frage. Mit seinem Deck hätte ich viel größere Probleme gehabt als mit Shanes. Stephane hätte Kamel in Schach gehalten UND mich. Er hätte auf uns rumgeholzt, dass es eine wahre Freude gewesen wäre. Warum sollte er denn einen 2/3-Deal mit Kamel machen? Er hätte eher den Tisch gemacht. Wahrscheinlich hätte am ehesten noch Thomas Chancen gegen ihn gehabt. Und das wäre ein interessantes Spiel gewesen.
Thea Bell aka Johannes wrote: Und was würde passieren wenn sagen wir mal du an der Position von Kamel gewesen wärest und der Frank mit einem CEL Rush vor Dir. Er haut Dich weg und du bekommst keinen GW er blöderweise auch nicht, den bekommt nämlich der Kamel vor ihm mit einem Rav/Embrace Deck. Ich würde mal sagen da hätte es mindestens 4 Wochen beleidigt sein in der Domäne Frankfurt gegeben.
Stimmt nicht, wir hauen uns in solchen Fällen immer besonders gerne. Und das ehrlich und gut. Meistens bekommen wir dann beide nichts, stimmt. Aber so ist das Spiel. Da muss man nicht beleidigt sein. Das war dann halt Pech, dass wir nebeneinander sitzen.
Thea Bell aka Johannes wrote: Ich habe versucht viele mögliche Probleme dadurch zu beseitigen. Tut mir leid dass es viele nicht in Ordnung finden und Enttschäuschung entstanden ist. Dennoch glaube ich weiterhin im anderen Fall hätte es wesentlich mehr Ärger gegeben.
Ich sage noch einmal, dass ich es nachvollziebar finde. Wenn Stephane eben meint, dass es Probleme geben wird hätte ich vielleicht auch so entschieden, v.a. auch in dem Zeitdruck. Enttäuscht bin ich ja auch nur, weil ich zu gern endlich mal Stephane beim Spielen zugesehen hätte, auch wenn ich der Leidtragende gewesen wäre.
Ich habe noch nie etwas vergessen. Das wüsste ich.